Bookish and Belle banner (without tabs) Outfits Recipes Crafts Home Wedding

Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Quiz


Today some other fashion bloggers and I are writing posts in the style of those old surveys we all used to take in the days of myspace.

This isn't normally the kind of thing I'd post, but I thought it might be a fun way to share some Christmas spirit with all of you. If you're interested, you can see the other blogger's answers here.

Okay, on to the quiz . . .

No holiday party is complete without:
Christmas music, of course! See my picks here.

My favorite Christmas song/album:
Sufjan Stevens's Songs for Christmas is enduring, timeless, funny, and profound. If I could only listen to one Christmas album, stranded on a Christmas island, it would be Songs for Christmas.

My favorite seasonal recipe:
Either my Memé's cheese ball or the cranberry sauce that I make every Thanksgiving. I posted the recipe here, causing my sister-in-law to type maniacal laughter on my facebook wall along with something like, "now I have your secret!" Just trust me, you want to try this cranberry sauce.

The perfect New Year's Eve outfit includes:
Sequins of course (or, at least, something metallic or glittery), opera-length gloves, and, in a perfect world (you did say perfect) some magical shoes that are sky high and yet allow you to always be shorter than your date while also not hurting your feet all night. . . . and they somehow make you a better dancer.

At the parties, I'll be drinking:
Something warm and spirited: i.e. peppermint schnappes in hot cocoa, hot-buttered run, cinnamon schappes in spiced cider, or mulled wine.

Eggnog, good or bad:
Good, especially with nutmeg on top

Did you ever take pictures on Santa's lap at the mall?
I don't believe so. My parents never told me the lie, so I spent my childhood wishing I believed in Santa Clause (They also incidentally had not told me about Jesus's birth, so who knows what I thought we were celebrating). My only memory of a mall Santa is of being left in my brother's care at a mall iceskating rink for a few hours. We got tired and I asked him if we could go see Santa. He obliged me and we waited in line for a while until we were pulled out by our furious mother who had finally found us after freaking out when she returned to the iceskating rink to find we weren't there.

Gingerbread Latte or Peppermint Mocha:
A true Sophie's choice of options. I refuse to pick a favorite. I love them both so much as to have designed cake pops in their honor. Can we just all agree that they both blow the Eggnog Latte out of the water and that the Caramel Brulée Latte is a desperate attempt to create a drink and call in Chrstimasy without anyone noticing that it is not, in deed, seasonal in any way. If you can't tell, I feel embarrassingly strongly about all this.

Worst gift I ever got:
An ugly cat sweater that my mom had given my grandmother for her birthday six months before, and then my grandmother gave to me, no doubt having found it in her closet and had no idea where it came from (because she has memory issues). I had to work really hard to hid my "Present Face" on that one. What's a "Present Face", you ask . . .


Best gift I ever received:
There are a lot of wonderful ones, but the first one that comes to mind is this snow globe that Ryan engraved with one of my favorite Wendy Cope poems.

When they ask me, 'Who's your favorite poet?'
I'd better not mention you,
Though you certainly are my favorite poet
And I like your poems too.

snow globe, silver spray painted rabbit, heels

Snow is already a big romantic symbol to us because we met in the winter time and spent many of our first dates sledding and playing in the snow.

My family has this weird tradition:
My parents usually make an avant-garde tree out of newspaper, or coat hangers or something. This year, they're too busy though, so they have a real tree.

If I could only buy all my gifts from one place, I'd shop at:
Hobby Lobby and make them all.

Rudolph the Red-nose Reindeer or Frosty the Snowman:
As you can see, I'm quite partial to deer.

My favorite holiday memory:
The time my sister-in-law's dog Bogey ate the entire cheese ball in one bite while we were in the next room (it happened in like a second!) and spent the rest of the night moaning that he'd had to much to eat. We laughed so hard.

My favorite Christmas movie:
Probably Love Actually, but I'm partial to Elf, It's a Wonderful Life, and The Family Stone as well.

The best part about holiday decorations is:
Making paper snowflakes for the windows

Rip off the wrapping paper or neatly pull of the tape:
I've always been a neatly-pull-off-the-tape kind of person.

Miracle on 34th Street of It's a Wonderful Life:
Absolutely It's a Wonderful Life, maybe because my mom always liked it so much.

It doesn't feel like the holidays season until:
It snows. Which means this year it never will. Super bummed.

All I want for Christmas is:
My loved ones around me, good food, and snow.


Follow Fashion is Evolution

Follow fashionisevo on Twitter

Enter your email address:

1 comment:

  1. Oooh love your blog!

    hehe NYE's definitely needs some sequins :)

    ReplyDelete